Our class discussion of what music is and is not, and what silence is and is not, led me to think more about the noise made by my cats and dogs. My lab does not howl/sing like Pup. I believe some breeds are more natural howlers/singers than others are. Pup is very musical, he sings on key when he is expressing happiness or sadness. However, after class I realized that there are times when he is attempting to relate to another four-legged, his vocalizations sound disharmonious to me. I believe this happens when he’s unsure of how he should be feeling, or he’s not fully certain about a situation – for instance when he sees, or meets, other dogs that he can’t get a clear read on – either because we’re driving by them, or they are communicating in barks, not howls. I have noticed that both my dogs are likely to start barking in respond to other dogs barking, and that if the barking gets faster and raises in pitch, then they answer in kind. I find this disharmonious noise to be disorganized sound, and definitely not music. I have seen dogs whip themselves into frenzy through this activity. I know Cesar Millan would say they are in an unbalanced state. The dogs are communicating their unbalanced state through their disorganized sound.
My Question:
Can we create music, which is endurable to others, when we are in a very unbalanced state? Or, like dogs, can we only create disorganized, disharmonious sound from an unbalanced state?
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I responded to your question!
Post a Comment