Response to Keane’s Question: What are some personally unique/quirky ways that you categorize things (including music)?
I wrote “Category and Chronological Challenges” because I am unable to discover how I categorize things beyond how something makes me feel. Every thing that is, vibrates at a particular frequency, which resonates in a particular pattern. I believe I categorize things according to my response to its vibration. I believe I am translating my response to the resonance as a feeling.
Those things I dislike cause a feeling of dis-ease, contraction, limitation within me. If I can’t change the station or remove myself from that environment I will close down, separate, shut myself off from the experience. I avoid music that provokes a feeling of extended disharmony within me.
Some things life exposes me to are only tolerable to me, but offer opportunities to acquire more knowledge of them, myself, or others with whom it becomes a shared experience. If I have the resources, I will stay and tolerate it as long as is socially required, or until I have gained as much from the experience as I believe is possible for me at that moment in time. Many pieces of music on the radio and television shows fall into this category for me.
Many other things tug at my previously accepted notions of reality of the thing, its purpose for existence, why I, or other beings, respond to it the way we do – again an opportunity to know more or more fully of the thing, myself, others, the world. These opportunities create a feeling of excitement within me and a recognition of enjoyment in the process of learning. Some things make me feel happy, some things provide a sense of expansion, growth. I like the feeling that occurs when I recognize a change in my perception, my point of view. I also enjoy the feeling that occurs from riding a current of expansion. Classical, meditation, rock and roll, and heavy metal, are a few of the genres of music that create that expansive-feeling ride for me.
I like being entertained. I like feeling energized. I find the involved stories within the lyrics of some folk music, ballads, ethnic music, jazz, musicals, operas, hip hop, and country music very entertaining. I find the melody and rhythm of a lot of rock and roll, heavy metal, some reggae, swing, jazz, concert, and big band music energizing. I enjoy the repetition in complex, extended music as found in In A Gadda Da Vida by Iron Butterfly and I Won’t Do That by Meatloaf. I find the combination of complexity, anticipation, and repetition stimulating, and therefore enjoyable.
My Question: Are there things that exist (other than mathematical or physics concepts) that we categorize, and to which we don't have some degree of emotional response?
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment