Monday, November 30, 2009

Response to Jacob's question on aesthetics, morality, pornography and erotica

Jacob's Questions:
Would an aesthetic difference between erotica and pornography change a moral view of the subject?
Would it be more likely that viewing one would be considered more moral than the other?

I think it is our personal moral views that determine whether or not we consider a work to possess an aesthetic, and that judgment would determine whether or not we viewed the work (except in individuals suffering with compulsive or aberrant disorders). For instance, I choose to limit my exposure to material that I consider either uninteresting (brain can't compute) or not helpful to my evolution as a human being. I strive for economy of energy. Therefore, I have not been exposed (since early 70s) to what is generally considered erotic or pornographic materials - including explicitly descriptive lyrics.

I consider this an evolutionary choice, some might consider it a moral choice.

Or should a class on aesthetics not even broach this subject?

Your questions remind me of the chicken or the egg dilemma. Personally, I think Philosophy class is an invigorating and appropriate venue for a discussion of morals, erotica, and pornography.

My Question:
Do you think most people's decisions are based in their morality?

2 comments:

Jaimie said...

i will address this

Anonymous said...

I made an attempt to response, but really I just think I raised more questions.