Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Response to Barry's Question

Barry asks, " Is it not the "intent" of those who create great art to express that "silent knowledge" to those of us who do not have sufficient energy to tap into that knowledge for ourselves?"

This reminded me of a response I wrote to one of Keane's older posts. Keane asked, "Is all art derived from creative introspection and subsequent realization?" I reviewed and edited that response as follows:

I agree that how we define art and creativity is essential for a determination of relational or independent properties. I think art minimally must reflect the incorporeal spark of its creator’s nature (physiological or spiritual). I believe great art is the co-creative product of the mind/body/essence of a corporeal being and their environment, and if they are fortunate, of the essence of their environment (meaning the artist was influenced by spiritual essence of the creative physical environment). One of the beliefs that I hold is that there are incorporeal spirits aligned with, responsible for, and inhabiting, natural communities.

I do not think that it is a necessary condition that all art must be derived from creative introspection and subsequent realization. I think art can also be created instinctively or subconsciously, and with or without subsequent realization for the creator or a given observer.

To the specifics of Barry's question:
I think that sometimes it can be the "intent" of those who create great art to express that "silent knowledge" to those of us who do not have sufficient energy to tap into that knowledge for ourselves, but I think that often great art (or art in general) is manifested from an internally driven and unconscious primordial process absent intentions towards others.

My Questions:
1. What is the originator of great artists' artistry, and where does it come from?

2. Is the causal source different for cognitively-intentional art than it is for art birthed through incogitative processes?

3. Is there only a single Source for all creators of spontaneous or non-intentional art (are we all dipping our brushes into a single
reservoir from our individual and therefore unique positions)?

No comments: