Thursday, September 24, 2009

Response to Jacob's question: How do I define art?

I think art is, by its nature, relational. It requires a creator and an audience/ observer/s [who also may be its creator (potentially an audience of one)]. How we define art and creativity is essential for determination of relational or independent properties. What humankind considers as art are constructs. Whether they are the consequence of sociocultural, intuitive, or spiritual constructs, each person will have a unique (and therefore, subjective) relationship to art.

While art may be recognized/understood through cogitative processes with consequent realizations, those processes are not necessary for the creation, or recognition, of an object/concept as art.

Art may be produced intentionally, or from a non-cognitive source (subconscious, biological, or spiritual derivatives). A creative process is necessary to realize art, though the process may be actualized subconsciously - through a primeval directive rather than through cogitative intent.

An artistic product may have form, or, it may be immaterial (thoughts, discourse, constructs, concepts, etc.). I believe art is the co-creative product of the mind/body/essence of a corporeal being and others, or/and their environment.

Philosophy is the intellectual and creative pursuit and accumulation of wisdom; its purposeful inquiries result in novel awareness of self and surroundings. There is a form and artistry to both the philosophical process and its effects (as well as a history and merit). Therefore, I view philosophy as an art.

My Question:
Do you think other beings are producers of art? If so, how do (or do they) determine whether a creation of theirs, or another being’s, is art?

4 comments:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Help me remember to include a session or two on biomusicology, or some cognate discipline that takes seriously the idea of nonhuman artistic creation.

inexhaustiblyinquisitive said...

It'll be my pleasure to do so!

bodidharma said...

Response to Betsy's question:
Do you think other beings are producers of art? If so, how do (or do they) determine whether a creation of theirs, or another being’s, is art?

inexhaustiblyinquisitive said...

Yes, I think other beings produce art. Birds sing, create nests which are works of art, perform elaborate dances, and create elaborate and beautiful structures to impress females. Some species collect objects and place them in their nests. Some animals create visual art. Whales and dolphins sing, as do elephants. I don't think most species of birds conceptualize their work as art - a lot of that behavior is related to attracting a mate. I think elephants and apes and monkeys have some awareness of their creations relative to how it makes them feel. I also think many birds, whales, dolphins, wolves, coyotes, dogs, apes, etc. derive some pleasure (possibly ecstacy) from vocalizing (singing). However, I believe analytical cogitating and conceptualizing is more of a human activity. I think animals feel their and others' works more purely, whereas humankind's feelings are frequently responses to thoughts (some conscious, many unconscious).