Monday, September 21, 2009

The Art of Philosophy

From today's discussion on what constitutes art, and what is considered a minor or major art, I must ask the questions: Is philosophy an art? Is there an "Art of Philosophy"? If philosophy is an art, is it a "major" or a "minor" art?

I believe philosophy is an art because it is a relational activity between persons, or between a person and their thoughts (which are created by a person's relationship (perception) with an observed or imagined object (tangible or intangible - includes thoughts), or other being; and this art form is practiced through forms of communication. When exercised properly (observer/receiver of philosophical communication experiences some cognitive response that furthers their spiritual/mental evolution), I would consider philosophy to be a "major" art. In order for philosophy to be classified as a "major" art, I would expect merit and gain for both the originator and the receiver of a philosophical discourse. Philosophy practiced without these elements would be "minor" and unworthy of the descriptor of either art or philosophy.

Questions:
1. Is philosophy an art? If you consider it an art, do you consider it a "major"or "minor" art?

2. Do all creative endeavors, including food preparation, presentation, and consumption, have the potential to be either a "major" or a "minor" art depending on the artistry of the creator and the sociocultural relativity of the observer to the object created (successfulness and quality of communication)?

2a.In other words, should a poorly executed painting of a meaningless object be classified under the category of a "major" work of art simply because it is falls under the "major" art forms category, while a sublimely prepared and artistically-presented sumptuous culinary masterpiece is held to evaluations as a "minor" art because "some" have classified it in the "minor" arts category.

3 comments:

Jacob Wheeler said...

I am responding to one of your questions.

ETM said...

I think I'll tackle your first question.

Anonymous said...

I am responding to one of your questions.